Sunday, June 1, 2008

Theme Day: Favorite Local Shops: Katonah Yarn Company

When I was a kid, I tried and tried to knit, but just couldn’t turn out a proper garment. Too big. Too Small. A dropped stitch here … or there. But today, because of the Katonah Yarn Company, I knit (and purl) again.

Stop in any time of day, and the shop is swarming with “Knitting Doulas,” giving a class, fixing an oops. Helping a knitter find her gauge. Tuesday evenings is open knitting, the chance to sit, knit, and just hang out; but in reality, as long as the doors are open, you can almost always find at least one person sitting around the table or in one of the upholstered chairs, open knitting. One day I heard Jane say … “The good thing about our location (which, as a stand-alone store, makes its own corner in the A&P shopping lot) is that if you stay too long, you can run next door to the A&P and grab supper.”

There are lots of fun, quirky shops in Katonah and the surrounding villages. The Katonah Knitting Company Inc. bills itself as Westchester County’s most comfortable knitting shop, and though the shop owners, Jane Lee and Jenn and their staff often help us laugh at ourselves, being friendly and helpful is one thing they take very seriously. It’s a place, where whatever your knitting level, you just feel good!

There are currently 174 shopping opportunities today. Click here for the thumbnails, and please visit.

4 comments:

USelaine said...

I never had the patience to learn how to knit, but I love looking at all the different patterns people do, and the pretty yarns.

Ineke said...

That is a very original post for the theme day.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I disagree. I found the owners and staff to be pretty nasty and unfriendly every time I went in there. I don't think I'll be visiting again. Glad you had better luck.

RaleighKat said...

Hello, Anonymous. Sorry you didn't tell us who you are. Bridgeport to Katonah is a long way to go for knitting supplies, and I'm sorry you traveled so far to have a bad experience.